For Halloween, my boyfriend and I dressed as R2D2 and C3P0. Of course, I had to do my nails appropriately! I present to you: R2D2.
These nails took 1.5 hours. That is the longest I have spent in quite a while…and I think it was worth it! I have a tutorial at the bottom of this post if you want to check it out!
I started with a silver base…A England Excalibur. This was a polish I never wanted, but it came in a set that I got on sale. How is it that the polishes I get as a byproduct of the ones I want are ALWAYS the ones I use most? I think this is overall one of my most used polishes. Crazy.
Anyway. To get the clean blue central line and the white border, I used striping tape. Everything else was free-handed (hence the long time).
I wanted to make my R2D2 nails as accurate as I could, so I kept running from the bathroom to my bedroom to look at images from the movie! My boyfriend was thrilled :-p
- Silver: A England – Excalibur
- White: Sinful Colors – Snow me White
- Blue: Sinful Colors – Endless Blue
- Red: Pure Ice – Siren
- Dark silver: Nails Inc – Trafalger Square
- Using two pieces of striping tape, tape off a thin line in the middle of the nail.
- Paint the area between the two pieces of tape blue, paint the tip of the nail white.
- QUICKLY remove the tape! (Especially if you are using Sinful Colors – Endless Blue. Amazing color, but dries too fast for its own good!)
- Paint on a rhomboid (larger end towards the bottom) with blue polish at the top of the silver part of the nail.
- Paint 5 rectangles using blue polish, one of them just off-center slightly larger than the others. Make sure to leave a gap next to the larger rectangle.
- Using grey metallic polish and a dotting tool, add a large dot in the center of the blue rhomboid and in the empty spot in the line of blue rectangles (see the image in Step 5 and Step 6). Also add two very small dots to the bottom of the blue rhomboid.
- Add a large red dot to the center of the large rectangle.
- Add three thin parallel blue lines that cover the middle half of the white portion of the nail
- Draw one thicker blue line perpendicular to the ones you drew in Step 8. Then outline (in black) two larger rectangles perpendicular to the parallel lines from Step 8 (one on each side) and two smaller ones towards the center. If you are confused, look at the picture. Or look up R2D2 online :-). Top coat and voila!
I am really quite proud of these. Hope you enjoy!