Today’s Golden Oldies Thursday challenge calls for a skittle manicure. I debated doing all different things, but settled for the same thing in different colors! It is finally spring, and so time for some pastels. And I have been DYING to try a quilted mani! Moreover, some glitter studs I had ordered finally came in, so now I get to pair EVERYTHING with rhinestones 😀
From what I can tell (via the internet) there are two main ways to make a quilted mani. You can use striping tape, or you can use floss. I tried striping tape because I am more familiar with it…and next time (hopefully there will be a next time) I will try floss.
This manicure had three steps:
- Add a pastel color of your choice to your nails
- Add a slightly shimmery clear color on top, to create some distinction between your first color and your second. Ideally, this polish slightly lightens the base color. Also add top coat to speed up drying time.
- Place striping tape on perpendicular diagonals across your nail, and add a thick layer of your starting polish. Quickly peel off the striping tape, revealing the quilt. Add rhinestones if desired. DO NOT TOP COAT to keep the texture!
Unfortunately, this manicure takes a while to dry (since there is no top coat on the last layer and it is a thick layer) but it was totally worth it! How cute is this?! Ok, so I’m biased. The worst part? I had forgotten I owned that pretty mint green! I guess that is the point of the GOT challenge, remember forgotten polishes.
- Pink: NYC – Prospect Park Bloom
- Purple: Sally Hansen – Lacey Lilac
- Blue: Sally Hansen – Breezy Blue
- Mint: Maybelline – Green With Envy
- Yellow: Serum No5 – Dayglow (yes, my nail was awesome and glowy)
- Shimmer: Revlon – Allure
That’s it for today! I hope you enjoyed these!